Nothing beats the fresh feeling of your skin after exfoliating! Those dull, dry damaged skin cells being buffed away brings an instant glow to the skin. As much as this coveted (and essential) step in our skin care routine can bring radiance to the skin, if used incorrectly or with aggressive agents, it can bring the opposite response to the skin – flakiness, dehydration, and sensitivity. As a result, this exfoliation misuse has left some uneasy with exfoliation.
Journey of The Skin and The Role of Exfoliation
So why do we need exfoliation? When we are young our skin cells are born in the lower layers of our skin and embark on their journey to the surface of the skin to form the skin’s protective barrier. Once tired, they’ll naturally shed off as dry, dead cells – approximately 14-19 days later.
As we exit the teens and move through the decades, this process slows and dry dull skin stays longer on the surface, not only stealing our glow but hindering the penetration of our serums and moisturisers into the skin. However, exfoliating instantly gives this natural process a boost, revealing the new skin beneath.
The Truth about Exfoliation – Exfoliation v’s Microfoliation
A common question qualified skin therapists at Pure Indulgence are asked is “Exfoliation feels so good, can I do it daily?”. The answer depends on if you have an exfoliant or a microfoliant.
Exfoliants work deeper in the skin, penetrating products either in an abrasive form or non-abrasive gel or cream – they are strictly to be used 1 – 2 times per week. Daily use of weekly exfoliants can strip the skin’s protective lipids, thin the skin and lead to dehydration and sensitivity.
Microfoliants, on the other hand, are gentle polishing treatments that remove only the very top 2- 4 layers of skin to eliminate the dry, flaky surface cells and reveal luminous and fresh cells underneath. Daily use of a microfoliant leaves the skin a smooth, fresh feeling and boosts radiance, all without any unwanted side effects.
Microfoliation – A New Frontier of Exfoliation
21 years ago, Dermalogica pioneered microfoliation. Jane Wurwand, the founder of Dermalogica, was inspired by daily exfoliation while at a Japanese traditional health retreat. During Jane’s stay, a ritual of finely ground rice powder was worked over her skin daily, leaving it fresh, hydrated, and bright. This led to the team of experts at Dermalogica to create the iconic hero, Daily Microfoliant.
Move the clock to 17 years later, and emerging studies on pollution and its detriment to the skin created another powder innovation at Dermalogica. Daily Superfoliant, a charcoal and rice-based pollution removing, skin smoothing microfoliating powder was born.
Make Peace with NEW! Daily Milkfoliant
Fast forward to today and advances in innovative ingredient technologies, pivots in packaging and sustainability and skin needs have emerged.
New! Daily Milkfoliant, is our peaceful way to exfoliate for every skin! In fact, this creamy, vegan exfoliating powder is clinically proven to smooth skin calmly, offering three unique benefits: exfoliating, replenishing and calming.
Key ingredients in Daily Milkfoliant:
- Fine Oat Powder – A physical exfoliator that gently polishes impurities from the skin, leaving it smooth and fresh.
- Grape Extract and Arginine – A natural exfoliating blend containing AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid), BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acids) and Saccharomyces Ferment, provides gentle chemical exfoliation to reveal luminous skin.
- Papain Extract – Enzymatic exfoliation removes dulling skin, boosting a renewed skin.
- Saccharide Isomerate – Works as a moisture magnet, boosting skins hydration by leaving a film of moisture over the skin which doubles up to balance the skin’s microbiome.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Known for its ability to hold 1000 times its own weight in water, this potent humectant, also naturally present in the skin, delivers deep hydration.
- Vegan Coconut Milk – Provides a creamy milky texture, along with delivering Vitamin E, both rich lipids, to smooth and condition the skin.
- Oat Bran Extract – Rich in nourishing lipids and powerful avenanthramides (anti-inflammatory antioxidants) to replenish the skin’s natural barrier oils and soothe and calm skin.
- Atomised Sea Salt – More concentrated than sea water, contains an abundance of Magnesium which reduces inflammation and soothes the skin.
How to use Daily Milkfoliant
Daily Milkfoliant is best used in the morning after cleansing, beginning your day peacefully with a calming exfoliation and a positive affirmation. Simply dispense half a teaspoon of powder into damp hands, to make a creamy and frothy butter – more water should be added to create the correct consistency. Gently work Daily Milkfoliant over the skin for one minute – it may even be left on a little longer as a soothing and hydrating mini masque. If you are tight on time, simply mix it Daily Milfoliant into your cleanser for a power cleanse. No matter how you choose to use your Daily Milkfoliant, you simply rinse off the skin with warm water or wipe away with your face cloth.
PRO Tip: Follow with your Hyaluronic Ceramide Mist and Circular Hydration Serum to maximise hydration, then seal the moisture in with your favourite Dermalogica Moisturiser and spf.
You can purchase your very own Daily Milkfoliant at your nearest Pure Indulgence Location and make peace with exfoliation today.
WRITTEN BY – Susan Neilon (Dermalogica Senior Educator)